Kojic acid cream has been approved for the treatment of cosmetic conditions in the products with a concentration of 1 per cent or less. It’s most often used as a skin-lightening agent. It can be found in a number of cosmetic items such as powders, serums, soaps, creams & cleansers.
Kojic acid Powders should be mixed with water or any lotion, as per the product instructions. Some products like soaps & cleansers are meant to be washed off immediately.
Other Kojic acid products like kojic acid soaps & cleansers are meant to be used and washed off immediately. Creams and serums are designed to be left on and absorbed into the skin.
How to Use Kojic Acid Cream
- Wash your face & neck with Kojic acid whitening face wash thoroughly before each use.
- Lightly massage the kojic acid cream on the skin
- Use twice a day on your neck & face
You may feel the difference after a few days
Benefits of Using Kojic Acid Cream
Products with Kojic Acid in them have the following benefits:
Products with kojic acid are known to lighten the skin, which can improve the appearance of age spots & sun damage. The reduction of darks spots creates an anti-ageing effect on the skin
Helps to reduce melasma which darkens the skin due to pregnancy
Decrease the marks of Scars
It may reduce the discolouration of scars. It may also decrease the dark pigmentation associated with certain types of scars.
Treat fungal infections and helpful in preventing athlete’s foot and yeast infections
Also provides anti-bacterial benefits. It may help decrease the chances of developing different types of bacterial skin infections
Side Effects of Kojic Acid Cream
Although this product may be considered safe for most of the people, there are certain risks and side-effects of it that you should know of-
It may likely to develop sunburn in the people using kojic acid. Melanin helps to protect the skin from sun damage due to UV rays. Since Kojic acid prevents melanin from production, this leaves skin more vulnerable to sunburn.
It can lead to contact dermatitis in some people, especially those with sensitive skin. It can also cause rashes, itching and dry patches of skin. Products with a higher concentration of Kojic acid leads to more irritation.
- It is not at all recommended to use on the skin that is already red or irritated.
- When choosing the products, be sure to follow their prescribed directions strictly. It’s important to make sure the product has a concentration of Kojic Acid as per recommended by your dermatologist.
- Never Ever Use Kojic acid cream on broken skin
- The desired results may vary from person to person according to skin types. Some may get the results in a few weeks while others may take a few months. Try to use this cream only for a brief period of time until you get the desired results
Kojic acid cream is helpful for the people who have dark spots on their skin due to sun damage, ageing, or scars. Some people are advised not to use kojic acid if they are suffering from certain skin conditions or allergies. It’s always best to talk to a dermatologist to make sure that the products with kojic acid that you are using are safe.