Fucidin Fusidic cream is manufactured by Sun Pharma. It is an antibiotic cream which contains 2% of fusidic acid. The cream works by killing germs and bacteria, in particular, staphylococcal bacteria that cause infection. It is used to treat impetigo, infected dermatitis, infected cuts and grazes infected eczema, skin infection around nails, hair follicles, and wounds.Fucidin Fusidic
How Does Fusidic Acid in the Cream Work?
Fucidin cream is a topical antibiotic that contains an active ingredient called fusidic acid in a concentration of 2%. This acid works by stopping the bacteria from producing essential proteins. This hinders the growth of bacteria. Fusidic acid doesn’t directly kill the bacteria but makes them unable to replicate or increase in numbers.
The remaining bacteria eventually die or are killed by the immune system. This way infection is being cleared up.
Composition of Fucidin:
- Fusidic Acid 2%
- Potassium Sorbate IP 2.7%
- In water-miscible cream base q.s.
How to Use Fucidin Cream?
- Wash your hands before and after applying the cream.
- Gently apply the cream to the infected area 3-4 times a day or as directed by your doctor.
- Avoid getting cream into your eyes, mouth or nose particularly if you are treating an infection on face. In case of accidental contact, wash thoroughly with plenty of water.
- Use the cream as long as instructed by your doctor even if the infection seems to be cleared up.
- Use the cream for 7-10 days at first to see if you get any allergic reactions or severe side effects of the cream. If everything is fine, continue using otherwise consult your doctor immediately.
- Tell your doctor regarding all the current medications and diseases you’re suffering from.
- If your infection doesn’t seem to get any better or becomes worse, consult your doctor.
- Also, see the doctor if the infection comes back after the treatment.
- Don’t use longer than prescribed. Prolonged or repeated use may cause skin reactions and may also result in bacteria becoming immune to the medicine.
- Keep away from the reach of children.
Side Effects of Fucidin Cream
You may experience some major or minor side effects of using Fucidin cream which includes- skin rashes, itching, pain, stinging, burning sensation, redness or contact dermatitis which are uncommon side effects (1 in 100 or 1000 people). Some rare side effects include hives, conjunctivitis and skin blistering (1 in 1000 or 10,000 people).
Allergic reactions may include swelling of skin, throat, face or tongue or difficulty in breathing. Stop using the cream if any of these conditions persist and immediately consult your doctor.